St. Louis Park authorities respond to fatal drug overdose, gunshot, attempted robbery and apartment fire

St. Louis Park authorities have responded to an accidental discharge of a firearm, a fire, a chemical incident, an aggravated robbery and a death a result of a drug overdose in recent weeks.

Police did not release a report relating to the death investigation. The incident occurred June 24 on the 1400 block of Zarthan Avenue South. Police are pursuing charges against those who provided the drugs to the victim, a police spokesperson said. The incident remains under active investigation.

Robbery charge

One of the other incidents led to a charge of second-degree aggravated robbery for a Brooklyn Park man.

The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office charged Martell Kareem Hopkins, 23, with the felony charge. If he is convicted he faces a maximum possible sentence of 15 years in prison and a fine of $30,000.

Officers responded to an attempted robbery call at about 11:30 p.m. June 22 in a parking lot along the 200 block of Shelard Parkway in St. Louis Park, according to a court document.

A Lyft driver told officers that he had been dropping off a customer when the customer put a hard object to the back of the driver’s neck and said “give me everything you got,” according to the court document. The driver thought the object might be a gun and was afraid but did not give the customer any money, and the customer exited the car.

The customer, who authorities identified in the court document as Hopkins, allegedly confessed to placing a cell phone to the back of the driver’s neck so that the driver would give him money, according to the court document.

A district court set bail at $30,000 for Hopkins. The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Jail Roster listed him as in custody as of press time.

Gunshot travels into nearby house

In a separate incident, police officers responded to a report of an accidental discharge of a firearm before 1 a.m. June 19.

A man on the 1600 block of Alabama Avenue South told police he had been beginning to clean a Romanian AK firearm when he “accidentally must have touched the trigger,” according to a police report. The live round traveled through a living room window. The man said “he removed the magazine prior to clearing the chamber, believing the firearm to be safe,” the report states.

However, a round shattered the living room window after the gun went off.

The man told an officer that he had made the firearm safe and secured it in a locked safe in his bedroom.

The man “was visibly very upset over the incident as well as extremely apologetic about it,” the report states.

An officer found what appeared to be evidence of the round traveling into the side of a neighboring house, according to the report. Two police officers and a lieutenant made contact with the homeowner after making forced entry into a side door of the residence, according to the report. The live round had traveled into the bathroom of the neighboring house.

The department closed the case June 21.

Six hospitalized in chemical incident

Police responded to a chemical incident after 4 p.m. July 1 at Edina Cleaners, 7501 25th St. An employee had mixed bleach and injection sour, creating choleric gas, according to a police report.

“Upon arrival the building appeared evacuated,” the report states. “We moved employees to a safe area and started providing medical attention to the employees that were in need of care.”

Paramedics transported six patients to Hennepin County Medical Center. A Hopkins hazardous materials team cleared the building after team members did not locate anyone inside. Firefighters also responded to the incident.

The police department closed the case July 3.

Oven fire spreads in apartment fire

Firefighters and police also responded to a fire alarm after 9 p.m. June 18, at 2727 Rhode Island Ave.

Firefighters entered a unit and knocked down a fire that began in the oven and had spread to a wall. The fire had expanded beyond the first wall and ascended to the floor above.

Following direction from a fire captain, police officers went door-to-door to ensure the entire building had been evacuated, according to a police report. They began to enter locked apartments with a master key to ensure no one remained in the building but had only checked the basement level when the fire captain advised the police officers to go outside themselves.

Officers released the building to property management and then cleared the building.