The city of Minnetonka will host two buckthorn workshops 6:30–8:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, and Thursday, Oct. 10, at Minnetonka City Hall, Minnehaha Room, 14600 Minnetonka Blvd.
Minnetonka residents can learn how to remove buckthorn gradually, while curbing its spread, at these two free fall workshops.
The workshops will cover the following:
• How forest and woodland structure and diversity is affected by invasive species
• How gradual, prioritized removal is typically better for a site than an “understory clear-cut,” especially if garlic mustard is present
• Avoiding the most common buckthorn removal mistakes
• Reducing erosion on slopes
• Saving high-value remnant plant species
• Selecting native species for understory re-forestation or privacy planting
Minnetonka Natural Resource Specialist Janet Van Sloun leads the workshop, and handouts are provided.
RSVP to Minnetonka Public Works at 952-988-8400 or register on the workshop registration page at eminnetonka.com.